There are several schools of thought regarding New Year’s resolutions. Some people cannot wait to make them, others have given up on them entirely, some are very serious that this is the year they will achieve them, while others make light-hearted, fun resolutions. Nevertheless, there is something irresistible about a shiny new year, a clean slate, a blank canvas to fill with whatever we choose.
There’s a lot of power in words. Resolutions, intentions, goals-call them what you like. Personally, I choose intention. The purposefulness resonates with me. Don’t you just love being “on purpose” and in the swing of things? Find the word that feels good to you and go with it. Next, look at your passion list, not your “should” or “shouldn’t” list. Create a list of what you want to create in your life for the year. Listen to what excites you. Don’t “should” all over yourself! Surprisingly, this is one of the most difficult steps. Ask most people what they want & they are quick to tell you what they don’t want.
So I have a list, now what?
Wouldn't we all be happy, healthy, thin, & wealthy if all you had to do was make a list? Set yourself up for success. Use your list as a roadmap. Want a more harmonious relationship with your significant other, what’s that look like? Break it down. Does it mean you grocery shop together (or not), set up a date night, plan/cook meals together, time to turn everything off & listen to each other? Flesh out your list, add the details that speak to you. Once you know the fine points you’re ready to make them a part of your life. Keep them in front of you by creating a vision board. Schedule your action steps in your calendar.
That’s all there is to it?
Let’s embrace the simplicity. In a nutshell:
- Figure out what you want to achieve & make a list. Concentrate on what you do want, not on what you don’t want.
- Give each item the proper attention & break it down so you know what achieving it entails.
- Embrace your vision. Create a vision board, schedule time for visualization.
- Take action. Add action steps to your calendar and watch the progress.
- Be open & mindful to the opportunities that spring up to help you achieve success!